What is the Public Authority Registry?
The Public Authority is an agency established to operate a Registry of providers willing to work for IHSS consumers. The Public Authority makes training available to Consumers and Individual Providers (IPs), and does collective bargaining with the union representing San Diego IHSS IPs. Services provided by the Registry assist people who need help with daily activities with the aim of helping them to remain safely in their own homes.
Our mission at the Registry is to:
• Assist those who need care in their own homes to lead lives of dignity and quality
• Support IPs in providing that care for Consumers
• Provide IPs and their Consumers with committed, innovative, and excellent services
Finding a Job as an In-Home Care Provider
The Public Authority Registry is a program that brings together people who need care in their own homes with IPs who want to provide that care. The Public Authority Registry can help put IPs in touch with individuals who are disabled and/or elderly and need help to live safely in their homes. IPs can help Consumers in many important ways, including:
• Preparing meals and feeding
• Keeping the house clean
• Bathing and dressing
• Shopping and laundry
• Assisting with personal care
Although IPs paychecks come from the State of California, the Consumer they are providing the care to is their employer and is responsible for hiring, training, supervising and – if need be – firing their IP. In short, an IP can become a trusted and very important partner in allowing the Consumer who hires them to live independently in their own home. While experience is not required, caring and a strong sense of responsibility are. This is an excellent opportunity for individuals to learn new skills and gain experience in the care-giving profession.
Steps Needed for an IP to Join the Registry
To join the Public Authority Registry, a potential IP must successfully complete the following steps:
• Call our general Public Authority telephone number at 1-866-351-7722 on the 3rd Thursday of every month to
sign-up for the Application Workshop
• Attend an Application Workshop which is designed to help you learn valuable in-home caregiver skills along with information about the Public Authority and IHSS programs
• Fill out an application as well as pass a basic test on IP related topics at the workshop
• Pass a Department of Justice criminal background check
• Pass reference checks
For more information about becoming a Registry IP please click on the following links:
Individual Provider Handbook (English)
Manual para el Proveedor Individual (Spanish)
For more information about the IHSS program, click here.
Quality Service = Quality Care
back to top of page