What Is the Public Authority?
The Public Authority is an agency established to operate a Registry of providers willing to work for IHSS consumers. The Public Authority makes training available to Consumers and Individual Providers (IPs), and does collective bargaining with the union representing San Diego IHSS IPs. Services provided by the Registry assist people who need help with daily activities with the aim of helping them to remain safely in their own homes.
Our mission at the Registry is to:
• Assist those who need care in their own homes to lead lives of dignity and quality
• Support IPs in providing that care for Consumers
• Provide IPs and their Consumers with committed, innovative, and excellent services
What is the Registry?
Once individuals qualify for In Home Supportive Services (IHSS) and their hours are assessed and approved, it is the responsibility of the consumer, to locate and hire an Individual Provider (IP) which is also sometimes known as a caregiver. Locating and hiring an IP can be a difficult process at times and this is where the IHSS Public Authority Registry can step in and help.
The primary purpose of the Public Authority Registry is to provide a free and voluntary process through which IHSS consumers in need of assistance and IHSS IPs in need of employment can be “matched” in an effort to deliver in-home support services. This goal is accomplished by maintaining a Registry of IPs that Consumers can use to find suitable people to assist them.
Other functions that the Registry performs include:
- Checking the qualifications, including a Department of Justice Criminal Background Check, of individuals who wish to be listed on the Registry
- Offering access to training, such as the National Caregivers Training Program, to help enhance the caregiving skills of IPs
- Conducting home visits to Consumers to assist them in supervising and communicating with their IP
- Educating both Registry Consumers and IPs, via telephone or in-person, in an effort to maintain a long term employment match
Quality Service = Quality Care
back to top of page